I’m literally so excited to share this recipe with you guys! Like, I don’t think there have been any other occasions when I’ve been so excited about a recipe! Seeing as my recent quest to find a protein powder that I really like has been rather successful lately and I’ve managed to find a product that I actually love, I’ve been experimenting a lot more with protein snacks and smoothies. As you probably know, I love recreating classic desserts and sweet treats and giving them a slight nutritional twist, so I thought i’d have a go as rustling up my own version of a snickers bar.. with some added protein in there too!
I did originally make a peanut version, which was really nice (this one needs a little more work) .. but someone suggested to me trying it with almonds instead, so I gave it a go and the result was pretty good, if I do say so myself. I’ve also tested these on quite a few friends and family members- (not all who are really into healthy eating) and everyone has absolutely loved them so far! They’ve even got my mum to quite like protein powders, as they were something that she previously couldn’t stand the taste of!
So, the outer casing of the bar is a raw chocolate shell, which is made from cacao butter, cacao powder and maple syrup. Then, inside this deliciously crisp and chocolatey coating, is a protein nougat layer made with creamy cashew nut butter, vanilla protein powder and a little coconut oil. The first version of the nougat that I made was a little dry and had an almost chewy texture, whereas this one is a lot more creamy and gooey- which people have seemed to prefer. The second layer of the bars is of course; caramel! I’ve made a glorious date and almond butter caramel that’s just so sweet and sticky, with subtle hints of roasted nutty flavour running through it! And, to add a nice bit of crunch in there, I’ve added a generous layer of flaked almonds on top of the caramel. So with each bite you get an amazing range of textures and flavours from the rich chocolate, gooey vanilla nougat, sweet caramel and crisp nutty layer.. how good does that sound?!
- 11/2 scoops Sunwarrior vanilla brown rice protein
- Tsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 1/2 cup dates (soaked in hot water for 20 minutes)
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 40g cacao butter
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- Flaked almonds
- In a bowl, combine the protein powder with the cashew butter and coconut oil and mix until everything is well combined. Form into a rectangular shape on a sheet of baking paper- you want this to be about 2 cm in thickness. The mixture will be quite gooey, so to help the shape hold, fold the paper around the bar you've moulded to keep everything in place. Place this in the freezer for a few hours or overnight.
- For the caramel, blend the dates and almond butter together in a food processor until smooth. Add water if needed.
- Remove your nougat layer from the freezer and spread the caramel on top. Sprinkle a generous layer of flaked almonds onto this and return to the freezer to set.
- Melt the cacao butter in a bain-marie and mix in the cacao power, sea salt and maple syrup. Remove your bar from the fridge and slice into individual portions. Cover each of these in chocolate and garnish with some chopped almonds. Leave in the freezer for a few hours to set.