Caramelised onion hummus
- 200g chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp paprika (optional)
- 1 Red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp light tahini
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from half a lemon
- 3 tbsp water (may need more depending on the desired thickness of the hummus)
- Dice your onion and add this into a frying pan along with a little water and cook this over a medium heat. Crush the garlic cloves and add these to the pan also. You want to cook these until the onion has caramelised and become really soft and sweet. You can add more water if the pan becomes too dry. (I like to use water instead of oil here) I also love to add some paprika, but that’s optional.
- One your onion and garlic are cooked, add these into a food processor along with the chickpeas, olive oil, coconut aminos, lemon juice, water and tahini. Blend until smooth.
- Season to taste and add more water/oil if necessary. Transfer to a dish to serve.