This might sound a little bit strange, but before I made this health-ified rocky road, I don’t think I’d actually ever tried rocky road before? I’m not quite sure how that’s even possible and surely that kind of thing should not be allowed.. but it’s alright because I think that this batch more than made up for that. Like I said, I’ve never had proper rocky road before so I’m not completely sure, but I think that regular rocky road is usually filled with marshmallows, biscuits and definitely lots and lots of sugars! In order to try and make this version a little more nutritious, I’ve added in granola, sultanas and cacao nibs for that amazing crunchy texture and the chocolate itself is sweetened with maple syrup, instead of regular sugar. Whilst maple syrup is still a sugar, it’s not a refined sugar and I actually prefer the taste as well! The chocolate is made from cacao, which is the raw and unprocessed version of cocoa, so still retains many of the amazing nutrients and antioxidants.
I was sent these granola products by Planet Organic to try out, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to put them to use. This flavour that I’ve used here is flavoured with apple and cinnamon, which works amazingly with the pecan and cinnamon flavours running through the chocolate. The granola also comes in a various other mouthwatering flavours, but I think this one would have to be my favourite.. I just love the warming cinnamon paired with the sweet hints of apple flavour, SO good! All of the granolas are also free of any refined sugars and made from an array of natural, vegan and gluten free ingredients. Speaking of pecans, I’ve actually used pecan butter in the chocolate recipe to add a delicious hint of nutty flavour, as well as a really rich and creamy texture. This does make the chocolate a little bit softer and fudge like, which is so delicious, but will melt a little quicker so don’t leave it out for too long!
Cinnamon pecan rocky road with granola
- 50 g cacao butter
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp pecan butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 40g Planet organic Apple granola
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 heaped tbsp cacao nibs
- Pecans to decorate
- Melt the cacao butter in a bain-marie until liquid and stir in the pecan butter, maple syrup and cacao powder.
- Continue to stir the mixture until completely smooth, then add in the cinnamon and a pinch of sea salt.
- Weigh out all of the rocky road ‘filling’ ingredients and combine these with the chocolate in a mixing bowl. Make sure that everything is completely coated in the chocolate mix and transfer into a lined baking dish.
- Garnish with a few chopped pecans and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours to set. When you’re ready to serve, slice the rocky road into pieces and enjoy!