Sometimes, those out of the blue, last minute recipes can actually turn out to be the most successful ones. I often spend so much time planning and purchasing endless different ingredients to create a million and one different recipes, that I just end up becoming so overwhelmed when things don’t work out how I envisaged them! I’m starting to realise that sometimes just working with what you can find in the fridge can produce equally good results, if not better and is actually a great way to get those creative juices flowing and be inspired!
I whipped this super quick and simple dish up for today’s lunch and it went down a real treat, so I thought I’d share the recipe for you to be able to enjoy it too! Admittedly, some of the miso marinade ingredients might not be found in your everyday cupboard, but apart from those, the remaining ingredients are all pretty accessible and affordable- something I look for when creating healthy weeknight dishes. Although simple, this dish boasts an amazing array of delicious, vibrant flavours, as well as a good balance of carbs and protein (perfect for pre and post workout!) This miso sauce is perhaps one of my new favourite meal additions, it’s just so delicious; the perfect harmonious mixture of sweet and salty with a gorgeously fresh and zesty kick of ginger and lime! I think it will be making a more regular appearance in numerous future dishes!
To pair with the miso cod, I’ve opted for some crisp mange tout and creamy coconut rice- yum! Coconut rice is a really yummy meal accompaniment or side dish and is surprisingly easy to make too! For this particular recipe, I actually used pre-cooked rice from Uncle Ben’s, mainly because it’s just so quick an convenient, but you could always pre-cook your own brown rice or allow a little extra prep time to cook it from scratch. The creamy coconut flavour comes from yet another of my favourite ingredients: coconut milk- which is fast becoming a kitchen staple for me as it’s incredibly versatile and tastes delicious in pretty much everything!
- 4 cod fillets
- 2 tbsp coconut syrup
- 2 tbsp tamari
- Thumb sized piece of ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 heaped tsp miso paste
- 200g mange tout
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (I used Uncle Ben’s)
- 3 tbsp full fat coconut milk
- Combine the coconut syrup, tamari, miso paste and lime juice in a bowl and mix everything together. Crush the garlic clove and grate the piece of ginger, adding both of these into the bowl also.
- Place the cod fillets into a baking dish and pour over the miso mixture, making sure that they’re all evenly coated on both sides. Place these into the oven to cook for 15 minutes or until the fish is completely cooked through.
- Whilst the fish is cooking, chop the mange tout and stir-fry these in a pan with a little coconut oil until vibrant in colour. Add in the rice and cook until piping hot. Stir in the coconut milk and a squeeze of fresh lime and mix everything well.
- Once both the fish and rice are ready, serve and top with fresh coriander, coconut chips and some chilli flakes.