As much as I love porridge, I recently noticed that I haven’t actually posted many porridge recipes on here.. certainly not for a while anyway. Well obviously that HAD to change straight away and I thought that this would be the perfect recipe to kick start with. Yep, you’ve read this right, that does say TRIPLE coconut porridge.. and yes, the coconut milk is even home made. I think this does qualify me as a domestic goddess when I even make my own coconut milk at 8am for breakfast, does it not?
Actually, no it really doesn’t because this coconut milk is really quick and easy to make and doesn’t even require any soaking, like most other plant based milks and is made purely by blending dissected coconut and water.. nothing else! As you might have guessed, I absolutely adore pretty much anything that includes coconut, it truly is one of the most beautiful flavours to me and is just such a versatile ingredient. Coconuts also have a wondrous selection of health benefits, including being a good source of healthy fats. I was first introduced to the coconut hype when I began cooking with coconut oil, as this has a high smoke point, tastes delicious and is also a key ingredient in many raw desserts! From then I pretty much fell in love with anything and everything coconut, which brings us to this not double, but triple coconut porridge.
Cooking the oats in the coconut milk makes them so deliciously creamy with subtle hints of coconutty goodness running through it. The addition of coconut oil adds to the luxurious creamy texture and gives and extra boost of nutritious healthy fats, which I find really help to keep me feeling satisfied for longer. Then, just to add even more coconut, I love to top this with a generous helping of coconut chips, which add an amazing bit of crunch and taste so dreamy combined with the fruity bursts of passionfruit! I made this for my breakfast this morning and it was absolutely heavenly, I think this will be a reoccurring meal for the foreseeable future!
Triple coconut porridge with home made coconut milk and passionfruit
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 cups of warm water
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup boiling water from the kettle
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 passionfruit
- Coconut chips & blueberries to decorate
- If you’re making your own coconut milk, add the desiccated coconut and warm water into a blender and blend until smooth. Drain through and sift or nut milk bag and store in an airtight jar/bottle.
- To make the porridge, heat the oats in a pan along with the water and half of the milk until the mixture starts to thicken. Once a lot of the liquid has been absorbed, add in the remaining milk and continue to stir.
- Stir in the coconut oil and vanilla powder and continue to cook until the porridge reaches a slightly thicker and creamy consistency.
- Serve in your favourite bowl and top with coconut chips, passionfruit and blueberries.
- Serving Size: 1