These rainbow vegetable bowls make the perfect lunch option for any time of year and are a great way to get an abundance of delicious plant based ingredients into your meal. There are really are no set rules that you have to follow when making these; you can fill them with whatever you fancy or need to use up in the fridge. This bowl has a combination of raw and roasted veggies, along with an incredibly tasty, creamy cannellini bean dip!
I love tucking into a meal, knowing that it’s filled with ingredients containing lots of amazing vitamins and minerals- it just automatically makes my body feel happy inside! Not only do I try and make sure that I get lots of vegetables into my meals throughout the day, but also a variety of different coloured fruits and veggies as well. Roasting vegetables is one of my favourite ways to cook them, as I find it really brings out all of the delicious flavours; here I’ve gone for a combination of butternut squash (one of my absolute faves), cherry tomatoes and red onions, but you could use whatever you like! To bring all of these amazing ingredients together, I’ve whipped up a super creamy cannellini bean dip with lots of garlic and fresh lemon juice. It’s basically like a hummus, except without the chickpeas and is a good way to add in some plant based protein to a salad.
For me, this salad bowl really does have everything I need in a meal: it’s colourful, fresh, packed with veggies, flavourful, includes plant based protein and healthy fats! It’s also made from natural, wholesome ingredients and can easily be prepped in advance for lunches and dinners on the go; salad perfection if you ask me!
Veggie rainbow bowl with cannellini bean dip
- Rainbow bowl:
- 1/2 a small butter nut squash
- Handful cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion
- Fresh rocket
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1/2 avocado
- Cannellini bean dip:
- 1 can of drained and rinsed cannellini beans
- 1 tbsp light tahini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 large garlic clove
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Preheat your oven to 180°c. Slice the butternut squash into bitesize chunks and place these into a baking dish. Season with sea salt, black pepper and mixed herbs and bake them in the oven for around 40 minutes.
- Chop the red onion into small pieces and slice the tomatoes in half. Put these in a baking dish and cook in the oven for around 15 minutes, until the onions have become crispy.
- Meanwhile, add all of the ingredients for the dip into a food processor and bend until smooth and creamy.
- To prepare the salad part of the bowl, slice the cucumber and add this to the bowl along with some fresh rocket. Half the avocado and squeeze on some lemon juice to prevent it from browning. Once the veggies are cooked, add these to the bowl also and finish it off with a generous spoonful of the bean dip.