I’ve recently re-discovered my love for granola making and now I just can’t stop! I think it’s definitely something that I do associate with the Autumn and Winter months, as I just feel so cosy baking away in my kitchen.. and it always fills the kitchen with such an incredible festive scent. It’s also something that I really enjoy making, as this doesn’t require a lot of fuss or complicated steps; you can pretty toss everything together in a bowl and bake it in the oven! It’s also super easy to get creative and customise your own flavours depending on what you fancy or what you have lying around in the cupboard. So there’s no trawling the isles of the supermarkets trying to find some bizarre ingredients that you’re only going to use for one recipe, then banish to the back of the cupboards! I love creating recipes that are easy and versatile, so you can make little swaps and create something personal to you!
This is such a quick and simple recipe, that you can bulk prepare for grab and go breakfasts and snacks for the week ahead. If you don’t have a lot of time in the morning and want something that you can take to work and enjoy at your desk, then this might just be the perfect recipe for you! You can serve this with some berries and almond milk, yoghurt, on top of smoothie bowls or simply just snack of handfuls of the stuff as it is! However, this might result in quickly demolishing the whole batch, if you’re anything like me! A few handfuls of granola could end up in me scoffing the lot! Another thing that I really like about recipes like this, is that they’re fairly accessible and affordable. As much as I love creating extravagant raw vegan desserts, I’m aware that these are often not the easiest and cheapest things to make, so are perhaps not your every day kind of recipes. But things like granola are useful weekday staples, that are great for all of the family to enjoy.
I recently managed to get my hands on some pumpkin pie spice; which is actually really tricky to do in the UK! I’ve been meaning to pick some up for ages and then luckily, received some in one of my monthly Lifebox’s (a healthy food subscription box). You can of course make your own spice mix too, if you can’t find the pre-made ones. It’s basically just a combination of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, all spice and ginger and what’s found in the classic pumpkin pies.. and now about a million other things, since it’s become rather fashionable lately!
Autumn Spiced Granola
- 1 cup jumbo oats
- 1/3 cup almonds- roughly chopped 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp One Earth Blends Vanilla Zilla Powder 1 tbsp coconut oil- melted
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a baking sheet with grease proof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of your dry ingredients and toss everything together.
- Mix together the melted coconut oil and rice syrup and pour these over the dry ingredients. Thor- oughly stir everything together, until all of your ingredients are evenly coated in the syrup and coconut oil.
- Pour this onto your baking sheet and pop into the oven for 15 minutes to bake. Toss the granola half way to help prevent it from burning.
- Allow to cool completely, then store in an airtight container.