So, since purchasing possibly the best item that I’ve bought this year, aka my waffle maker; waffles have pretty much taken the place of those classic protein pancake stacks that I usually make. I felt like it had been a fair while since I’d posted a pancake recipe here on you guys and since re-vamping the blog, I’ve been filtering through recipes and definitely felt like there was room for another here!
These protein pancakes taste like such a treat and are something that I love to make as a delicious post-workout meal. In general, I find that it’s really important for me to enjoy my food and look forward to what I’m eating; and if you have something incredibly tasty waiting for you after your workout, It gives me that little bit of extra incentive and motivation! I’m 100% a firm believer that eating well and making healthy choices certainly does not have to mean compromising on taste and food that you enjoy- which is pretty much the philosophy behind my blog. There are so many incredible ways to get really creative with food and come up with dishes that you love!
The protein that I’ve been testing out recently is from a brand called The Good Guru and is their vegan vanilla protein powder. As you know by now, I’m a huge fan and advocate for vegan protein blends and there are now so many fabulous ones on the market. I remember, when I first began using protein powders, there was a rather limited selection of vegan proteins on the market and lots of them were quite grainy and just not really my cup of tea. So, I’m incredibly happy that this is now no longer the case and the vegan protein market seems to be forever growing and improving! I’m not actually vegan myself, however, they’re just my preferred type of protein powder and I tend to prefer the texture and taste of them.
I’ve kept things fairly simple with today’s pancake flavour combo and gone with a classic chocolate and cinnamon because.. well, who doesn’t love some chocolate pancakes for breakfast am I right? When you’re cooking these, the hints of cinnamon flavour just fill the kitchen with the most heavenly smell; everyone else at home will definitely be jealous of your breakfast! Both my house mate and I love to make protein pancakes and waffles, so our house always smells so delicious on a Saturday morning! To add a touch of fruity flavour into the mix, I’ve topped the pancakes with a melted berry sauce, which I think just adds that little extra something special and gets some fruit into the meal as well! Plus, chocolate and berries is a combination that I don’t think I would ever tire off.. SO good!
- 1/2 banana
- 20g oats
- 20g vegan vanilla protein
- Tsp baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 1 whole egg
- Almond milk
- Tsp cacao powder
- Dash of cinnamon
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Handful of frozen berries
- 1-2 tsp honey
- Pinch of lemon zest
- Place the banana, oats, protein, baking powder, eggs, cacao and cinnamon into a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Add a dash of almond milk to help everything blend and create a pourable consistency.
- Heat a little coconut oil in a pan and pour in some of your pancake batter. Once the pancake start to bubble on the surface, flip and cook on the other side. Repeat this for the remaining mixture.
- To make the berry sauce, heat the berries in a saucepan over a low-medium heat with a splash of water.
- Once they've started to melt down and form a sauce, stir through the honey and lemon zest.
- Serve your pancakes topped with the sauce and tuck in!