Happy 1st of December everyone! I couldn’t be more excited about the countdown to Christmas commencing! I absolutely love this time of year and can’t wait to get stuck into my Christmas shopping and all of there festivities to come. With that being said, I don’t know for the life of me how I’m going to find time to accomplish these things, as I’m absolutely inundated with Christmas recipe work! Like always, I’ve probably taken on the workload of about 5 people.. but Its okay because I’m super excited about all of the Christmassy content that will be coming your way and as I’ve said a million times, I love what I do and couldn’t feel more grateful for all of these wonderful opportunities right now! When I made the decision to commit to the blog and recipe creation full time, almost a year ago, I never imagined that it would have grown into this so quickly. I honestly feel so blessed right now and am extremely thankful to all of you for supporting me!
As for today’s recipe, I’ve been really getting into making soups lately.. like, I reckon I’ve made about 6 different recipes in the past two weeks! The beauty of them is, you can just let your creative juice flow and chuck in whatever you happen to have lying around in the fridge vegetable draw. There are endless different flavour combinations to experiment with and it’s also a great way to use up any left over fresh produce.. because, no one likes waste now do they?!
Root veggies are one of my favourite ingredients to include in soups, as they give it that nice hearty feel and a lot of them also happen to be slightly sweet in flavour, which is always delicious! Squash and sweet potatoes are some of my favourite vegetables and they just work so harmoniously together in this soup! Then, all you really need is a good seasoning and some herbs and you’re pretty much good to go!
Soups are so handy to prepare in large batches, that can then be served for lunch, taken to work with you, served as starters or heated up for a speedy light dinner if you can’t be bothered to cook. Soup is such a wonderful comfort food to cuddle up on the sofa with, under a heap of blankets on a cosy winters evening! This way you’re able to eat something quick, easy, comforting and still get a good portion of veggies in at the same time!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 large carrots
- 170g butternut squash
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400ml veg stock
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 slice smoked back bacon per person
- Herbs to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 180c.
- Peel and dice the veggies and place these onto a roasting tray with the coconut oil. Massage the oil into all of the veg, then pop this into the oven for around 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely dice the onion and fry this over medium heat with a little coconut oil or cooking spray until translucent. Crush in the garlic cloves and continue to cook until fragrant.
- Once the vegetables are cooked through and nice and soft, allow to cool slightly before combining these in a high powdered blender with the stock, onion, garlic and spices. Blend until smooth and creamy, adding extra liquid if needed.
- When you're ready to serve the soup, cut the bacon into small bite-sized pieces and fry until crispy. Heat the soup gently in a saucepan until piping hot, then top with the bacon and some herbs to garnish.