I think that tarts make an excellent Spring and Summer dessert and look so beautiful when decorated with a vibrant selection of fresh fruits. This cacao & strawberry tart has the perfect pairing of rich, decadent chocolate, with the mellow sweetness from the strawberries! I love that we can grow lots of incredible, fresh berries during the Summer months and I can’t wait until everything’s in full bloom. I’m not 100% sure, but I think that we are starting to get British strawberries appearing in the shops now.. and you can’t really beat good old British strawberries!
This tart is actually a double cacao dessert, as not only is the filling a rich and creamy chocolate, but the crust is also flavoured with cacao as well! I mean, what better thing could you choose to pair with chocolate than, more chocolate? Am I right? Okay, well in all seriousness, sometimes when I fancy a really chocolatey dessert, I want it to be super rich and indulgent.. so double cacao it is!
What actually still manages to impress me, is just how easily you can create something so smooth and creamy, without using any actual cream.. or dairy products at all for that matter. I’m not actually vegan or dairy intolerant and do still eat cheese and greek yoghurt, however, I love experimenting with plant based alternatives! It’s also great that you don’t have to compromise on taste either- this is just as delicious, if not more so, than other chocolate tarts that I’ve had in the past!
This would be the ideal dessert to serve to friends or take along to a Summer party. If you’re in charge of bringing dessert, then this might be just the thing to help you out! It looks pretty impressive and tastes delicious too!
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 heaped tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup cashew nuts- soaked for 4 hours then rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- Handful of fresh strawberries
- Start of by preparing the tart crust and add the cashews into a food processor. Blitz these for 2-3 seconds on their own to crush them slightly.
- Add in the remaining crust ingredients and blend again until everything is well combined.
- Pop this mixture into a lined tart/loaf tin and firmly pat everything down. make sure to take the mixture around the sides of the tin to create a wall to hold the filling. Place this into the freezer to set whilst you mix the filling.
- For the cacao creamy filling, combine the soaked cashews, honey, coconut milk, cacao and coconut oil in a food processor or high powered blender and whiz everything up until you're left with a completely smooth mixture.
- Pour this into your tart case and smooth over the surface with a spatula.
- Leave this in the freezer to set for a couple of hours.
- Remove the tart from the case (the baking paper makes this a lot easier!) and garnish with sliced strawberries. I also love to sprinkle over some desiccated coconut and shavings of raw 72% cacao chocolate.