I’ve been meaning to post this recipe for quite some time now, so thought I best get my act together and get it up here for you, so you can treat yourself to some creamy, coffee infused, gooey, chocolatey indulgence with a nice cup of tea.. or more coffee, if you’re as much of a fan of the stuff as I am!
This is another of the recipes that I’ve made in collaboration with my new faaaave chocolate brand: Well + Happy and Is probably one of my favourite things that I’ve made so far this year. I seem to have developed a slight addition to baking loaves and banana breads in particular, lately.. I think I’ve made at least 5 different ones this year alone! Who knew that there were so many different flavour variations of banana bread aye?
This is everything that I look for in a chocolate cake; rich, chocolatey and still a little soft and gooey in the middle. I love chocolate brownies and cakes to be slightly more on the softer, fudgey side, as oppose to more cakey ones. I’ve also added in some chunks of the Well + Happy Midnight chocolate throughout the loaf, for that extra kick of rich cacao flavour and when the breads fresh from the oven, they’re all warm and melty which tastes SO good!
Now for the piece de resistance.. the espresso frosting! Whilst living at my Mum’s house, I pretty much fell in love with her Nespresso coffee machine and making coconut, almond or cashew milk lattes! If you haven’t tried making your coffee with nut or coconut milks yet, then where have you been?! My favourite one at the minute would definitely have to be cashew milk.. but they’re all so so tasty! Anyway.. back to the Nespresso machine! They just make THE BEST coffees and their richness is perfect for infusing desserts and using in recipes like this! I’ve added a few spoonfuls of a strong espresso into the cashew cream frosting to add a gorgeous hint of coffee against the sweet, creamy cashew butter. Perfection!
Double chocolate banana loaf with cashew espresso frosting
- Chocolate loaf:
- 2 bananas
- 3 tbsp coconut syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Dash of vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup + 1 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 tsp bicarb
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp brown rice flour
- 3/4 bar of Well + Happy Midnight Chocolate bar
- 2 heaped tbsp cashew nut butter
- 1 heaped tbsp honey/coconut syrup
- 3 tbsp brewed espresso (already brewed, not the granules)
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Add the bananas, coconut syrup, coconut oil and vanilla into your food processor and blend until smooth.
- Next, crack in the eggs and blend again.
- Sift all of your dry ingredients and pour these into the food processor and blend until both wet and dry ingredients are well combined.
- Chop the chocolate into small chunks and stir these gently through the cake mixture.
- Pour the mix into your loaf tin, making sure to smooth out the top with a spatula to create a nice even finish.
- Bake this in the oven for around 30 minutes. To text the cake- pierce with a skewer and if it comes out clean, it should be ready.
- Transfer the loaf onto a wire wrack and allow to cool.
- For the frosting, combine the cashew butter syrup and coffee and mix well until smooth and creamy. Spread the frosting generously over the loaf and garnish with some extra chopped chocolate and crushed nuts, if you so desire. Enjoy!