Sweet potato brownies were all the rage a couple of years ago; but they were something that I just never seemed to be able to nail recipe wise. I feel that my baking abilities have dramatically increased over the past year especially; probably because I’ve been getting an awful lot of practice in and generally baking multiple times every day! Writing this, as we near the final month of 2017 (its December 1st tomorrow ahhhhh! Nearly Christmas!) I can’t stop thinking about how much has changed over the past year and most of all, how much Charley’s Health has grown! I can’t believe that this time last year, I’d been living in London merely less than a month and was still only working on the blog part time! Anyway, I think that’s probably something for another blog post in itself!
So, back to the matter in hand.. these brownies! I’ve been baking rather a lot of brownies lately, I couldn’t possibly decide on a favourite, but these are certainly up there! First of all, they’re not just any old brownies; these are made with the delicious root veggie that is sweet potato and also with an aded boost of plant based protein in there too! There super soft, sweet, chocolatey and amazingly fudgey aaaaaaand they’re really quick and easy to make, so what more could you ask for really?
Now, when making protein desserts, I don’t believe in compromising on flavour or texture. Lots of protein cakes that I’ve tried in the past can be a little too dense or powdery in texture and just not really as delicious as a regular cake. I mean, if you feel like you’re substituting treats for something a lot less tasty, then what’s really the point? Just for the sake of having a little bit more protein in it.. that you could just get from having a little extra protein with your dinner. I mean, these are just my opinions of course, but if I’m going to create an alternative sweet treat recipe.. It needs to be just as scrumptious as the real thing!
- 40g chocolate vegan protein
- 2 whole eggs
- 40g ground almonds
- 60g gluten free flour
- Tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 200g cooked sweet potato
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- Pinch sea salt
- Dash of vanilla extract
- 50g coconut sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a brownie tin with baking paper.
- In a food processor, combine the cooked sweet potato, coconut oil, coconut sugar and blend until smooth.
- Crack in the eggs one by one and add a dash of vanilla extract. Blend again until everything is well combine.
- Now, pour all of the dry ingredients into the food processor and blend a final time to create a really smooth brownie batter.
- Transfer this into the baking tin and smooth over the surface. Bake these for around 15 minutes, then remove and transfer onto a wire wrack to cool.
- Slice into portions and enjoy!