So it’s finally Christmas Eve and my favourite day of the year is almost here! To mark such a special occasion, what better way to finish off the Christmas meal than with a delicious gingerbread cake! This loaf is super sweet, spongey, fluffy and so moist! I know most people seem to hate that word (I’m not a huge fan myself!) but it’s true haha!
I feel like gingerbread flavoured desserts are an absolute must during the festive period. I mean, not only are they delicious, but they also make the whole house smell IN-CREDIBLE whilst you’re baking. There’s nothing better than coming home to the scent of freshly baked gingerbread! Baking in the house is essential for me over the festive period!
I say this all of the time, but bananas are a great addition to sweet recipes and baking, as they add moisture and lots of natural sweetness, meaning that you don’t need to use quite as much oil or coconut sugar. They help to keep the cake really moist and also.. banana bread is just amazing isn’t it?! I actually used to hate bananas and banana bread when I was younger.. although you would never believe it now!
What makes this cake EVEN BETTER is of course the addition of the creamy peanut butter frosting. If you’re a regular reader on the blog, then you’ll know that peanut butter makes a rather regular appearance in my recipes; Pic’s Peanut Butter in particular. I’ve partnered with them to bring you this festive treat and the addition of the creamy PB adds a lovely hint of nuttiness to the loaf and and amazingly smooth and decadent frosting. The contrast of super sweet caramel and festive spices is just SO good! You can then of course decorate this with whatever takes your fancy- I love the vibrant colours and crunch of the pistachio nuts, but pecans or walnuts would be great too!
- 250g banana
- 20g Pic's Smooth Peanut butter
- 130g gluten free flour
- 80g coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp date syrup
- 70g ground almonds
- 3 whole eggs
- Dash vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp bicarb
- 2 tbsp Smooth Pic's Peanut butter
- Tbsp Agave/rice syrup
- Coconut milk
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a food processor, combine the bananas, coconut sugar, peanut butter, date syrup and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Add in the eggs, then blend again.
- Pour in all of the dry ingredients and blend the mixture a final time, so that everything is fully incorporated and you're left with a smooth cake batter.
- Pour this into the loaf tin and bake in the oven for 35 minutes, the cover with foil and bake for a further 9 minutes.
- carefully remove the cake from the tin and allow to cool.
- To make the peanut butter glaze, mix together the peanut butter, sweetener of choice and gradually stir in the coconut milk until you reach a creamy, spreadable consistency.
- Once the cake has fully cooled, garnish with a layer of the frosting and whatever toppings you desire.