This super quick and delicious dinner dish is something that you can whip up with very minimal fuss and still be able to enjoy a meal that’s packed with flavour and wholesome ingredients. It’s also a great option for meal prep and lunch boxes, as it keeps things pretty simple and provides a slightly more interesting twist on the classic chicken and broccoli. If you’ve ever been on any sort of fitness meal plan or prep diet, then I’m sure that you’ll be fairly familiar with this combination already!
Saying that, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a good ol’ bit of chicken and broccoli.. I actually enjoy it, is that weird? But, I know that it’s probably not for everyone.. and if I served up a plate filled with plain baked chicken breasts accompanied by steamed broccoli for my boyfriend, I don’t think that he would be too enthusiastic. This dish however, transforms something that can be rather bland, into a really flavourful and tasty plateful.. and you don’t need hours of prep work or lots of fancy ingredients to do so!
Lemon chicken was probably one of my favourite and go-t0 dishes to order in a Chinese restaurant, so I’ve taken some inspiration from those flavours, to come up with this little number. The sweetness of the honey pairs really well against the subtle tang from the lemon juice and provides a really light and refreshing burst of flavour, so is perfect for summer! This would be a great dish to serve at a BBQ, as you could try BBQing (not sure if that’s an actual word haha) the chicken thighs and serve it as a large platter for people to share. Call it a Summery version of a roast dinner if you will! I don’t know.. do people still eat roast dinner during the Summer months? Personally, I don’t think I could stomach roast potatoes, Yorkshire puds and gravy on a really hot and humid afternoon.. but this would definitely go down a treat with a fresh green salad!
- 260g boneless chicken thighs
- tsp honey
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 200g tenderstem broccoli
- 300g potatoes
- Coconut/rapeseed oil for cooking
- 1 small garlic clove
- For the dressing-
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180c.
- Combine the honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper for the marinade and mix well. Pour this over the chicken thighs and mix well, so that all of the chicken is completely coated.
- Transfer these into a baking dish and cook in the oven for around 35- 40 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Wash your potatoes and chop into small, bite-sized chunks. Lay these onto a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper and spray with a little rapeseed/coconut oil. Pop these into the oven to bake for around 35 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
- Whilst everything is cooking, combine the ingredients for the dressing and mix well.
- Add a little coconut oil into a frying pan and crush in the garlic clove. Add the broccoli and sauté this over a medium heat until vibrant and tender.
- Once both your potatoes and chicken are fully cooked, serve the broccoli and potatoes onto the plates, top with the chicken and garnish with some pomegranate seeds. Drizzle the dressing over the top and enjoy.