I don’t know whether it’s all of the beautiful sunshine we’ve been having lately, or just the mood I’m in, but I’ve been having a bit of a raw dessert making craze again! I had the same obsessive phase last summer and my mum’s freezer was literally crammed full of boxes stuffed with raw chocolate, caramel bars and cashew cheesecakes! I pretty much could have opened up a mini shop in my kitchen haha!
I absolutely love anything lemon and citrus flavoured, which is why I find it pretty surprising that I’ve never actually made a lemon tart or cheesecake recipe.. well, until now that is! Both my brother and I both love lemon cheesecake, so this was the perfect recipe for us to make together. The crust is a simple combo of nuts & oats to create a biscuit like texture with a good bit of crunch! The filling is definitely my favourite part and is a delicious balance of sweet, zingy flavours from the lemon and honey!
To top it off, I’ve drizzled a creamy passionfruit & coconut cream over the top for a little extra fruity kick and pop of colour. I absolutely love passionfruits; they’re so delicious for topping desserts, yoghurt, porridge, smoothie bowls, pancakes.. the possibilities are endless! They have such a fresh and vibrant flavour and are just really different from most other fruits. Ooo they’re also so delicious in smoothies and juices.. mango and passionfruit smoothies are a winning combo by the way!
I would definitely recommend giving this a go if you’re after a sweet, yet zingy summer dessert for a BBQ or dinner party. There’s enough to share with lots of friends and I think it’s the kind of dish that you can decorate and really pretty up to look all fancy to impress your guests! I’ve kept things pretty simple and topped it with some fresh blueberries, more passionfruit, coconut and of course.. my signature rose petals! If you’re looking for a quick way to add a little something extra to a dessert, or even a savoury dish then I would highly recommend getting some of these little beauties! I don’t know what it is, but I always find they make anything just look so much prettier and If I’m having a difficult time photographing something, a good sprinkle of rose petals usually saves the day! My boyfriend however, hates them! He gets so frustrated having to pick them off everything before getting to eat it! They are edible, he just doesn’t like the taste for some reason!
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup/honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt (I used COYO)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 3 tbsp honey/brown rice syrup
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (half a lemon)
- 2 1/2 heaped tbsp coconut oil
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 whole passionfruit
- 1 tbsp honey/brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp One Earth Organics- Rejuvenate Your Soul Blend (Link bellow)
- To make the tart base, add the walnuts, oats, syrup/honey and coconut oil into your food processor and blend until everything is well combined and sticks together.
- Press this into a long tart case- the ones with the removable bases work well here- and remember to take some of the mixture up around the edges to create a tart case to hold the filling well.
- Pop this into the freezer to firm whilst you make the filling.
- For the lemon tart centre, blend together the cashews, coconut yoghurt, coconut oil, lemon zest & juice and sweetener of choice ( I like to use honey here) until really smooth and creamy. I always use my Magimix Food processor, but you could try doing this part in a high speed blender also.
- Pour the filling into the tart case and allow this to set in the freezer for 3 hours or overnight.
- To decorate the tart, sprinkle on your toppings of choice and prepare the passionfruit cream. For this, you will need to mix together the centre of the passionfruit, coconut cream, superfood powder and sweetener until well combined. Drizzle a little of this over the top of the tart and add additional toppings if you desire. You can save extra cream for serving or to use with other dishes.