It wouldn’t be Christmas time without the sweet scent of gingerbread biscuits baking in the kitchen and these are the perfect way to welcome in the festive season! I used love baking gingerbread cookies and houses with my mum as a child.. even though about 70%of the dough would end up in my stomach before it had chance to be baked into cookies! I don’t know what it is, but the dough just seemed to taste so much better haha!
These aren’t exactly your classic gingerbread cookies, but are just as delicious none-the-less! They are deliciously sweet, spiced and also give a good bit of crunch with each bite! Some cookies I love to be all gooey and cookie dough like.. but gingerbread is one type that I love to bit nice and cruuuunchy! These are so delicious, I could just sit around snacking on them all day long! Of course that would need to be in some Christmas pyjamas, with a Christmas jumper, whilst watching a Christmas film too! Can you tell I’m obsessed with Christmas?
When making these, I didn’t quite realise just how much gingerbread dough I’d made. We just started cutting out the shapes and before I new it, we’d literally filled a rather large baking tray with about 20 mini gingerbread men! Of course you don’t have to just stick to gingerbread me, you can make whatever shapes take your fancy.. I actually have a set of little reighndeer cookie cutters in my cupboard that will definitely be making an appearance over the next couple of weeks!
Speaking of the next few weeks and the run up to Christmas.. this has just got me thinking about something. I don’t know whether this is just me, or maybe it’s because of the job I do; but I find that I put myself under an immense amount of stress and pressure when it comes to creating festive content and making the most of every form of national holiday. I mean, this year I think Ive done pretty well at embracing the Christmas spirit and getting organised- I’ve had my tree up for weeks and have already bought all of my Christmas Cards! Anyway, the point that I was originally trying to make is.. it’s really easy to end up putting yourself under lots of pressure and feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to do a million things. It’s okay to take a break sometimes and just take some time to enjoy this time of year with your family and friends and enjoy things! Often, taking a little break from things really helps me to return feeling really fresh and re-charged.
Protein Gingerbread Cookies
- 25g cinnamon bun flavoured whey protein
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
- Pinch salt
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a tray with baking paper.
- Start off by combining the coconut oil and dates in a food processor and blend to create a paste like mixture.
- Add in the dry ingredients and blend again until well combined. Finally crack in the egg and blend a final time.
- Once you’re left with a nice dough mixture, roll this out onto a floured surface. Cut out your gingerbread shapes- I used a really cute mini gingerbread man cookie cutter. Place these onto the baking tray and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Allow these to cool completely, then tuck in!