You’ll probably have noticed from pictures on my Instagram feed recently, that I’ve entered into a serious raw cheesecake making phase and just seem to be whipping these things up left right and centre. I feel like I’ve said this many times before, but once you nail the basic recipe for a super creamy, raw cheesecake filling; it’s really simple to customise and you can then get all creative with different flavours. I couldn’t quite believe that it had taken me this long to make a mint chip flavour. Mint chip ice cream was one of my upmost favourite flavours through-ought my childhood and I would always get an incredible, generously packed ice cream cone full of the stuff after a trip to he beach in the Summer holidays.
As always, I love to mix things up when creating recipes and always find great pleasure including slightly ,ore alternative ingredients where you may not necessarily expect to find them. In this instance, the items that I’m referring to are avocados. The concept of adding a nice bit of avo’ into a dessert is actually not that uncommon nowadays and is often used to make chocolate mousse. They have an incredibly smooth and creamy texture, which helps to create a mixture with a really silky cheesecake filling. I don’t know what it is about mint chocolate chip, but it’s just SO GOOD. It has the rich, decadence from the chocolate and then a nice hit of refreshing minty flavour to pair with. This is definitely one for the summer time, as it reminds me of sitting on a beach eating Cornish ice cream, but that’s not to say it wouldn’t be delicious any time of the year!
So, I’ve just told you that one of the key components to this cake right here is avocado.. well, it’s also vegan, dairy and refined sugar free too. I know right, a cheesecake without all of those things, especially CHEESE.. might taste weird right? Well, I guess I can’t speak everyone, but I literally love raw cheesecakes.. like I could probably scoff a whole one to myself- although this is not something that I would advise doing! I’m a firm believer that you should not have to compromise on flavour and the enjoyment of your food, which I guess is why I started blogging and recipe creation in the first place. I love experimenting with foods and re-creating classic dishes with a slightly different twist. With that being said, I hope that you’ll enjoy this cheesecake if you give it a try and maybe you’ll become a raw cheesecake convert too!
Raw Mint Chip Cheesecake
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup almonds
- Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Tbsp cacao powder
- Tsp One Earth Blends Chocolate Dream powder
- 140g ripe avocado
- 2 1/2 cups cashew nuts
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- Splash of peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (drinking kind)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 40g raw chocolate
- More raw chocolate and cacao nibs to decorate- optional
- To make the cheesecake base, place the oats and almonds into a blender and blitz these on their own for a few seconds until slightly crushed.
- Add in the coconut oil, maple syrup and cacao powders and blend again, so that all of the ingredients come together and are well combined.
- Pour this into the base of a loose bottom cake tin. (I used a 20cm deep cake tin for this) Firmly press the mixture into the base of the tin and pop this into the freezer.
- For the creamy filling, blend all of the above ingredients together (apart from the chocolate) in your food processor until smooth and creamy. Taste the mixture and adjust the peppermint to taste.
- Roughly chop the chocolate into small chunks and stir this through the cheesecake mix. Pour this over the base and pop the cake back into the freezer for 5 hours or overnight to set.
- Once the cake is ready, remove carefully from the tin and decorate with a drizzle of melted raw chocolate and some cacao nibs.