It’s been such a long time since I’ve made a bit batch of homemade soup and I’d forgotten just how much I love doing it. It’s actually such a a quick and simple way to prep a big batch of meals that you could enjoy for a light lunch or starter later in the week. I’ve experimented with various different veggie combinations for soups in the past, however haven’t tried adding beets before, so thought I’d give that a whirl. Ive become absolutely obsessed with beets lately and have to stop myself from eating them three times a day! I literally try and add them into every savoury meal that I have.. they’re just so tasty!
Beetroot also has a really sweet flavour, so works really well when paired with the sweet potato. Sweet potato also creates an amazingly smooth and velvety texture when blended into soups, so I don’t feel the need to add in any milk or cream. To add that little extra something to this recipe, I’ve added in some smoked paprika (which just makes everything SO delicious) and also some of the One Earth Organics Coco Gogo mix; which includes some raw cacao powder that adds a lovely depth of flavour to the dish. I’ve mentioned this a few times before, but I love using cacao in savoury dishes like soups and stews, as I just find that it really helps to add a real richness of flavour and works especially well in tomato based dishes, such as spaghetti bolognese.
Typically when making soup, I like to roast the veggies prior to blending everything up, as I find this brings out the best flavours and makes the sweet potatoes amazingly gooey and caramelised. I think that cooking them like this helps to retain more of the incredible flavours, rather than boiling them. Another great thing about prepping big batches of soup, is that you can use up any leftover veggies that you have in the fridge.. and the flavour combinations really are endless! I love to experiment with different things and coming up with weird and wonderful recipes. It’s also an easy way to get a good couple of portions of veggies in, within one meal AND it’s something that you could take to college or work with you to heat up for a quick and convenient lunch or snack.
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 3 smal raw beetroots
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 600ml vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp One Earth Blends Coco Gogo mix
- Smoked chilli flakes- optional
- Preheat your oven to 190c.
- Peel and chop your veggies into small chunks and pop these onto a tray with a drizzle of rapeseed or coconut oil and roast them in the oven for around 40 minutes or until tender.
- Once your vegetables are cooked and cooled slightly, add these into a high speed blender along with the stock, paprika, Coco blend and a good seasoning of salt and pepper. Blend until really smooth and creamy. You can add more stock here if you feel that the soup is too thick. (If you're blender is not big enough, you might want to blend the soup in multiple batches.)
- Adjust the seasonings to taste and add chilli flakes if desired.