For today’s dessert, I wanted to make something easy, delicious and something to get you into the spirit of Summer! In my opinion, crumble is perfect for any time of year; it pairs beautifully paired with custard on a cold Winter’s evening or served with a scoop of ice cream after a Summer BBQ. Another fantastic thing about this recipe, is that it doesn’t require an endless list of ingredients; the main ones being oats and berries! These are two of my upmost favourite things and something that I literally always have stored in my kitchen! I used a combination of frozen and fresh berries for this, but you could use whatever you have access to. Frozen berries are a really convenient and affordable way to buy fruits in my opinion, as you don’t have to worry about them going bad in a few days and they’re often a lot cheaper in price.
Here I’ve opted for a combination of blueberries and strawberries; which I think work really well when melted into the crumble filling, as they both have such a sweet and luscious flavour! For natural sweeteners, here I’ve used a combination of coconut sugar and honey- two of my favourites! The coconut sugar has an incredible caramel like flavour, which tastes SO good blended into the crumble topping! Speaking of the crumble topping, I wanted to make sure that there was a pretty generous portion of this because.. I mean, it is everyone’s favourite part now isn’t it?! I think that the ratio of fruit to crumble topping is possibly one of the most vital elements when baking a crumble! What’s more, it couldn’t be more simple to make! This is another of the recipes that I’ve created with One Earth Organics, this time using their Rejuvenate Your Soul Blend. This is a combination of baobab, maca, goji berry, cacao and acerola cherry; which I find has a slightly fruity flavour, so pairs really well with this crumble dish.
I reckon that this would be the ideal dessert to dish out to guests at a Summer BBQ and you could even enjoy the left overs for breakfast the next day. To be honest.. it’s a little bit like porridge isn’t it?! There’s oats, fruit? I think that would be acceptable haha! I hope you’re all enjoying the warmer weather and that you enjoy the recipe if you give it a try!
- 100g rolled oats
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp Jumbo oats
- 1 tsp One Earth Rejuvenate Your Soul Powder
- 200g strawberries
- 200g blueberries
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180c
- Slice the strawberries into small chunks and add these into a saucepan, along with the blueberries and a dash of water.
- Gently simmer these until the berries have melted and started to release all of the beautiful berry juices.
- Stir in the honey and vanilla extract.
- Meanwhile, add the rolled oats into a food processor and blitz until they form a flour consistency.
- Add in the coconut sugar and coconut oil and blend again, until well combined. Finally, blend in the remaining jumbo oats- these help to give the topping a little extra texture.
- Pour the melted berry mixture into a small baking dish and top with the crumble mixture.
- Pop this into the oven for 15-20 minutes to bake- or until nice and golden on top. Serve and enjoy!