You could probably guess from the blog, that I’m a huge coconut fan! I use some form of coconut product in pretty much all of my dessert recipes.. and a lot of the savoury ones too come to think of it! The most frequently used product would have to be coconut oil, as this is amazing for cooking, baking and helping to bind things together when making no bake desserts as well! Not only that, but it also has such a tasty coconutty flavour that works really well in both sweet and savoury food. I think it’s especially delicious when cooking asian dishes like curries and stir-fries, as it adds a lovely aromatic hint of flavour to all of the veggies!
I think I’ve mentioned this before in one or two previous posts, but I never really liked coconut growing up! I know right, how strange?! Seeing as I’m now absolutely obsessed with the stuff! I felt like I hadn’t made a really coconutty dessert in absolutely ages and also really wanted to create something using one of my new favourite protein powders.. so decided to combine the two and come up with these little protein coconut bites!
I feel like I’m really starting to channel the spirit of Spring with my recipes lately.. I even made something hot cross bun themed the other day! I swear it feels like only yesterday that I was cutting out gingerbread cookies and then making a pink cheesecakes for Valentines day! I was saying to my friend the other day, I don’t think that I ever realised just how many food themed occasions there were until I started recipe creation and blogging! Lately it seems that as soon as I finish one holiday themed recipe, I’m moving swiftly onto the next one! Not that I’m complaining of course because.. Easter will be coming up soon, which means.. EASTER EGGS! Yep, there will be some raw chocolate Easter treats coming to the blog, don’t you worry! But for now, these chocolatey, coconutty bites of yumminess will have to suffice!
They’re the perfect little bite-sized treat for when you fancy a little something indulgent after dinner and have that amazing combination of light sweetness with the rich dark chocolate coating! I’ve used a 70% raw chocolate for this, as I’m a huge raw chocolate fiend.. but you could use whatever chocolate you prefer, or even make your own! For the coconut filling, I’ve simply blended some coconut, almonds, coconut oil, honey and the protein powder- it’s really quick and simple, but still really tasty!
- 1 scoop vanilla vegan protein- I've used Women's Best here
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp honey
- 70g raw chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Add the almonds into a food processor - I used a Ninja Kitchen for this- and blitz until they're finely ground.
- Add in the coconut, honey, protein and coconut oil and blend together until everything is well combined and sticks when pressed together with your hands.
- Pour this into a container and firmly smooth the mixture down to create a smooth surface. Pop them into the freezer for an hour to chill.
- Once the bars are nice and set, slice into piece and set aside.
- gently melt the chocolate with the coconut oil and drizzle over each of the coconut bars. Place them back into the freezer for half an hour, or until the chocolate has solidified then tuck in!