I feel like this is something that everyone says every year.. but where is this year going?! It literally feels like christmas was last week. I don’t know whether it’s because I’ve been so bust recently, but I literally feel like the last two months have been an absolute whirlwind! However, work wise, I would definitely say that this has been the most incredible year for me already and I couldn’t be happier with how the blog has progressed in the last two months alone!
That being said.. pancake day is just around the corner, so for the next couple of posts I wanted to bring you a few different pancake ideas for the big day! Growing up, pancake day would typically involve the traditional crepe style pancakes filled with either lemon and sugar or some melted chocolate. That was pretty much the standard routine in my family.. oh and I would ALWAYS add a good few helpings of squirty cream on there too.. with some strawberries of course!
Since cooking became a huge part of my life, I’ve now strayed away from the classic crepes and now experiment with a whole multitude of weird and wonderful pancake recipes. I actually love to make smaller, fluffier style pancakes and stack them up with lots of fresh berries and some sort of sauce. That’s exactly the style that I’ve gone for with these pancakes.. not only that, but they’re also plant based and have a little superfood boost in there too! I’ve included my two absolute favourite and most used superfoods in here; cacao and maca. If you’ve ever been to my house for dinner, then you will probably have witnessed me making the famous cacao almond milk hot chocolate that I have EVERY SINGLE night without fail. I’m literally obsessed with making these and for good reason! If you haven’t tried this yet.. you need to do so ASAP. Simply mix a tablespoon of Rainforest Foods Cacao powder (that’s my favourite one!) with 1 cup of almond milk on the hob and whisk so it goes all nice and frothy!
My other favourite superfood would definitely have to be maca powder. Both of these were the first two superfood powders that I ever purchased and they would probably be the two that I would recommend the most. I think they’re probably the most versatile (for me anyway) and I just love the flavours of both of them. Maca has a kind of malty, caramel like flavour and is great mixed into porridge, smoothies and even baked goods. This recipe, combines both of the above, to create a chocolatey caramel fusion in pancake form! AND if that wasn’t enough indulgence for you, I’ve also included a super simple, but delicious chocolatey sauce to drizzle over the top! So you’ll really be stepping up your game this pancake day, that’s for sure!
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp flax mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp Rainforest Foods cacao powder
- 1 tsp Rainforest Foods maca powder
- Tsp Rainforest Foods cacao powder
- 2 tsp brown rice syrup
- Splash of almond milk
- Chocolate chips and berries
- Add all of the pancake ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat a little coconut oil in pan and once the oil is nice and hot, pour a little of the mixture into the pan. Once the pancake starts to bubble, flip and cook on the other side.
- Repeat this until all of the mixture is used up.
- To prepare the sauce, mix the cacao with rice syrup and add in a splash of almond milk to help create a pourable consistency.
- serve the pancakes with fresh fruit, the chocolate sauce and some extra chocolate chips if you fancy it. Enjoy.