So, the soup obsession continues this week with this golden coconut soup. I’m pretty sure that I say this about nearly every single soup that I make, but this one really is one of my favourites! Like, it’s SO tasty, creamy, sweet and just super delicious! What makes this one stand apart from all of the soups that I’ve made in the past is that it’s actually made using coconut water! I was so sceptical when I first thought through this idea and had no idea how it was going to turn out. I feel like it’s one of those things that could either turn out really well.. or be really really terrible! However, amazingly, it turned out to be so delicious, I couldn’t quite believe it. I’m not exactly sure what I was expecting; but the combination of the sweet potato and coconut water gives this a wonderful sweet undertone and velvety smooth texture!
This soup is pretty much exactly what it says in the title:
- It contains coconut (coconut water AND milk to be precise)
- It’s golden in colour
- .. and it’s soup
I feel like I need to begin experimenting with a greater variation of colours when it comes to soups.. because all of the ones that I’ve made recently do seem to be this golden orangey colour; but those orange veggies duo just make the best soups. I mean, there’s carrots, sweet potatoes, golden beetroots, butternut squash.. they’re all really tasty and add great flavour to soup! I suppose I could start adding in some regular beetroot or purple sweet potatoes for a bit of extra colour here and there? I can feel those little creative cogs turning in my brain now, thinking of endless soup flavour combinations!
As you might have noticed, there seems to be rather a large amount of soup recipes popping up all over the blog recently.. well you wouldn’t be wrong there! I don’t know why, but I just love making soups! They’re really quick and simple to make, can be eaten for lunch, snacks, starters or dinner.. and are a convenient way to cram lots of veggie goodness into one meal! Not to mention, they’re also like a warming hug in a bowl on a chilly British winters day! Nothing beats curling up on the sofa with a cosy blanket, whilst dipping a nice bit of crusty bread into a warming bowl of your favourite soup! I’ve loved soups ever since I can remember- especially those ones with the little pasta pieces in (I should really make one of those); they’re great for all the family and you can also take some to work with you in a flask for a nice change from salad or butties!
Golden Coconut Soup
- 100g sweet potato
- 200g carrot
- 100 butternut squash
- 1 small brown onion
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/2 cup light canned coconut milk
- Olive oil for cooking
- 2 heaped tsp vegetable bouillon gravy (or 2/3 a veggie stock cube)
- 1 1/2 cup Coconut Collective Original coconut water
- Preheat your oven to 180c and peel and dice the veggies into bite sized pieces.
- Pop these onto a roasting tray and drizzle with a tsp of olive oil and place into the oven to roast for around 30 minutes, for until soft.
- Meanwhile, dice the onion and add this to a frying pan with a tsp of olive oil and sauté until softened. Crush in the garlic clove and continue to cook these until the onion is translucent.
- Once the veggies are nicely roasted, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- In a blender, combine the onion & garlic mix, roasted vegetables, coconut water, coconut milk, vegetable gravy/ stock and blend until smooth and creamy. You can add more liquid if you’d prefer a thinner soup, but I like it quite thick. Season to taste with black pepper and enjoy!