I’ve been on a bit of a crazy Valentines Day recipe hype recently.. which is certainly something that I haven’t said before. I love creating recipes for holidays or seasons, but Valentines Day has never really been an occasion that has filled me with recipe inspiration. However, this year I’ve been bursting with ideas and creating lots of pretty pink or chocolate laden recipes!
This recipe wasn’t at all planned, it was one of those completely spare of the moment creations where we just throw various different things into a food processor. I haven’t had much practice at baking with chickpeas.. or any beans for that matter, so I wasn’t sure exactly how this one was going to pan out. I just go by taste and consistency and then just hope for the best! Sometimes this can result in utter disaster and other times, wonderful, delicious treats like these are born! These are actually my favourite thing that we’ve made this week.. I couldn’t have wished for them to be any better!
These are pretty simple to make and are completely vegan.. so no eggs are required for this bake! They’re also oil free, as we used a combination of the blended chickpeas and almond butter to make up the wet part of the mixture. We’ve then sweetened them with coconut sugar- which tastes like legit caramel and oat flour was our flour of choice on this occasion. They’re SO soft and gooey with incredible bursts of fruity flavour from the raspberries and dreamy chunks of melted chocolate. Trust me, whoever you make these for on Valentines Day will definitely be impressed.. and I bet that they would never guess that one of the main ingredients was chickpeas!
Seeing as it’s Valentines Day, I thought we needed to add that extra bit of sparkle to your average blondies, so we’ve gone with raspberries AND chocolate. I mean, chocolate and berries are a dreamy combination by themselves, are they not?! Just describing these to you now is making me want to bake another batch and just sit here and munch the whole lot! Slightly crispy on the outside, with a melty cookie dough like centre.. pure perfection! They’d be delicious with coconut yoghurt, vegan ice cream, fresh berries or simply by themselves. I must admit, I feel like it would be a pretty tough job to just stop after the one though, as these are just a little bit more-ish!
- 1 can chickpeas- drained and rinsed
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp smooth almond butter
- 1 cup oat flour
- Tsp baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- Dash vanilla extract
- Handful dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- Handful fresh raspberries
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a brownie tin with baking paper.
- In a food processor, combine the chickpeas and almond butter and blend until smooth-ish.
- Add in the coconut sugar and vanilla and blend again until everything is well combined.
- Next, pour in the flour, baking powder and salt and blend a final time until you're left with a smooth batter.
- Stir through the chocolate chips and pour this into your baking tin and smooth over the surface.
- Press the raspberries throughout the mixture and pop these into the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then slice into portions and enjoy!