Prepare yourself for some of the easiest and most delicious vegan pancakes ever! Vegan pancakes and waffles can sometimes be slightly tricky to master and I have encountered many an experience when I end up with soggy, squishy pancakes that just fall apart! However, I’ve had no such issues with these ones, so they’re pretty much foolproof. What I will say when cooking pancakes, is that you really do need a good quality non-stick frying pan. I always use pans by the brand Green Pan because these are non-toxic no-stick, which I think is really important when it’s something that you’re cooking from every day. I also find that they’re a really great quality brand and aren’t too expensive either. (This is not sponsored- just wanted to share some of my tips with ya!)
For the pancakes themselves, like I said, they are super duper simple and you’ll only need a few ingredients- most of which you might already have in the kitchen! The main components here are mashed banana and oats, so you’re getting some slow releasing carbohydrates and then natural sugars from the banana. Bananas are a great alternative to eggs when making pancakes and also help to add a lovely sweet flavour as well! I literally use mashed banana in so many of my recipes these days, especially since experimenting with more plant based baking.
One of my personal favourite parts of these hot cakes are those juicy, melting blueberries that burst into a delicious, flavourful explosion as you bite into them! I’m a little obsessed with cooking blueberries at the moment; I think it just makes them taste so much better and they look so vibrant as all of their juices ooze out! You could always swap these out with other fruits like: strawberries, black berries, cherries or raspberries- I think these would all be pretty tasty too!
These are ideal for a lazy weekend breakfast, or you could even prepare them of an evening and heat them up the next morning perhaps? I haven’t personally tried this, but I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t work? If you do give it a go then let me know how you get on!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup coconut/almond milk
- 1 mashed banana
- Handful fresh blueberries
- Dash Vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Coconut oil or vegan butter for cooking
- Mash the banana with a fork until nice and smooth.
- Stir through the oats, milk, vanilla, salt and baking powder until everything is well combined. Add in your blueberries and carefully fold these through the batter.
- Heat a tsp of coconut oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and once the oil is hot, add in a generous spoonful of the batter.
- Cook until golden on both sides, then repeat this for the remaining mixture.
- Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and enjoy!