I’ve been really into making colourful foods lately and I just think it’s so cool how you can create such naturally vibrant colours from ingredients like fruits and veggies. Growing up, I would always chuck in a tonne of food colouring when baking colourful cupcakes or other baked goods and they would always turn out a pretty radioactive in colour. These powders from Arctic Berries are a great natural alternative, as well as adding some extra vitamins and a delicious, fresh berry flavour.
Vegan pancakes are something that I tend to find a little bit more tricky when it comes to making sure that they hold together and don’t result in a big gloopy mess on my plate! I feel like as the time goes on, I am definitely making improvements and starting to master this though! These are soft, fluffy, sweet and hold together beautifully in the pan! Not to mention, they’re also blue and taste super sweet like a blueberry milkshake! I haven’t used any egg replacements or even flax-eggs in this recipe, but instead the banana helps to bind everything together and also provide natural sweetness, so there was no need to add in any syrups or sugar.
And.. just to make these look even more magical, I’ve layered them with some home made blueberry yoghurt by simply mixing some of the powder with coconut yoghurt. You can of course use whatever kind of yoghurt you prefer, but I’m a firm coconut yoghurt fan- I just love it’s velvety creamy texture! I can’t get over how incredible the vibrant blue purple colour looks against the pancakes and it makes me feel so inspired to create a multicoloured stack! Now THAT would be pretty cool. Maybe that will have to be my next pancake experiment!
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- Dash vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp Arctic Berries Blueberry Powder
- Tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Splash of almond milk
- 4 tbsp Non dairy yoghurt- I use coconut
- 1/2 tsp Arctic Berries Blueberry powder
- For the pancakes, combine the flour, banana, vanilla, berry powder, salt, baking powder and a good splash of milk. Blitz until you're left with a smooth batter.
- Heat a little coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
- Once the pan is nice and hot, pour in some of the mixture and cook until bubbles start to appear on the surface, then flip and cook on the other side.
- Repeat for the remaining mixture. Mix together the yoghurt and berry powder until well combined.
- Serve the pancakes layered with the berry yoghurt and add your toppings of choice.