Despite not actually being vegan myself, for the most part, the recipes that I create and share on here are generally plant based. However, recently I’ve been noticing that I’ve really been leaning towards creating even more vegan recipes and also incorporating more meat free dishes into my diet. This is something that I’ve touched on briefly before, but it’s been a very gradual change and I haven’t really noticed it progressing over time. It’s kinda’ just one of those things that you randomly think about over time and realise ‘oh.. I hardly eat that much chicken in comparison to what I used to eat’. This actually makes me quite happy, that the change has been something that’s occurred so naturally and easily to me! I was never the biggest red meat eater, but there were periods of time when I would live off chicken and veggies twice a day (yawn, boring I know!)
One of the main things that I love about creating vegan recipes is the opportunity to get those innovative ideas flowing and challenging myself to coming up with delicious alternatives to classic dishes! Mac and cheese really is a classic comfort food and also something that is definitely not vegan! I was always a huge cheese lover, so Mac n’ cheese was pretty much a staple in my diet! It’s also ideal for this time of year, as it’s so warming and comforting.. perfect for a cosy night in front of the TV.
This recipe actually came about because I’d made this Mac & Cheese recipe earlier this week and have vowed to be more conscious of my food wastage this year. I think it’s great to create recipes that have multiple uses and that you can store as leftovers for later in the week. We’re all super busy, so having delicious meals and snacks on hand is so helpful!
Serves 3- Ingredients
- 1/2 portion vegan Mac & Cheese Recipe
- Almond milk (other non dairy milk will work)
- Tsp vegan butter
- Tsp cornflour
- Tsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 2 heaped tbsp nutritional yeast
- Pinch sea salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- Pinch smoked paprika
- Tsp gluten free flour
- To make the waffles, mix the Mac n’ cheese with a good splash almond milk and the cornflour.
- Pre-heat your waffle iron and brush with the vegan butter.
- Take a good spoonful of the pasta mixture and pour this onto the waffle maker. Cook until really crisp on top and the waffles hold together. Repeat this with the remaining mixture.
- To make the cheese sauce, gently heat the butter or coconut oil in a saucepan and mix through the flour to create a roux.
- Remove this from the heat, then mix through a little of the milk. Return the pan to the heat and pour in the remaining milk whilst whisking. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Stir through the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, garlic and paprika. Continue to cook whilst stirring until thick and creamy.
- Serve the waffles with toppings of choice and a generous helping of the sauce.