These were one of the sweet snacks that I made for an event that I catered for the other day and they went down so well, that I wanted to make sure that I shared the recipe with you all on here!
I’ve always loved experimenting with different raw cheesecake flavours and I can’t tell you how long I’ve wanted to try making a unicorn coloured one! The incredible mermaid blue colour comes from blue spirulina.. but don’t worry, the cake doesn’t taste of swampy flavoured greens powders like you might be imagining! The flavour pairing is the perfect combination of delicate sweetness with a slightly sour fruity kick from the berry filling and jam topping. I’ve always been a huge fan of a fresh and fruity dessert over something chocolatey, so this is right up my street!
Despite being decadently sweet and looking incredibly indulgent, these cakes are dairy, gluten and also refined sugar free.. oh and also completely plant based. So judging by these, enjoying vegan desserts definitely doesn’t mean compromising on delicious tasting treats!
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 3 cups cashew nuts
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp blue spirulina
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
- 200g frozen mixed berries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (or more if you desire)
- 40g dark chocolate
- To make the base, add the oats and coconut into a food processor and pulse to form a flour. Add in the maple syrup and coconut oil and blend until well combined.
- Press this into the base of a brownie tray and pop these into the freezer.
- For the filling, in a high speed blender, combine the cashews, coconut milk, coconut oil, lemon and agave syrup then blend until smooth and creamy.
- Separate the mixture into two, then blend the spirulina into one half and pour this over the base.
- Pop the cheesecakes back into the freezer to allow this layer to set a little.
- For the second half of the filling, blend in the mixed berries and then spread this over the top of the blue layer, then place back into the freezer.
- Meanwhile, to make the jam, gently heat the berries in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook these until the berries have melted, then stir in the sweetener and chia seeds. Remove this from the heat and allow to cool and thicken.
- Once cooled, spread the jam over the cheesecakes and leave these to set in the freezer for 4hours+.
- Once the cheesecakes are ready, carefully slice into portions with a warm knife, then drizzle over some melted chocolate to finish.